Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Butterbeer

I managed to escape my design studio and Virginia's cold weather (even though today is quite Spring-like) for a week in Florida. Islands of Adventure at Universal Studios in Orlando was one of my stops. This Harry Potter fan wanted to check out their interpretation of Hogwarts. I have to say, I was duly impressed.  It is straight out of the books and the movies. Occupational hazard... I did find myself wanting to add splashes of color and more lighting inside the castle.



I enjoyed a frozen butterbeer. It is offered plain as well, but I heard frozen was the way to go. It was non-alcoholic and a lot like a milkshake. My husband and I shared one figuring we could always go back for seconds. Imagine frozen vanilla cream with a hint of butterscotch, sweet but quite delicious.



This week, I am back in the studio and, strangely enough, craving butterbeer. I looked up some recipes online. Here is one from the Associated Press (July 2, 2010) that sounds like it would be pretty close. Maybe, I will give it a try. I will keep you posted. If you try it first or have a good frozen recipe, please share.

BUTTERBEER
Start to finish: 1 hour (10 minutes active)
Servings: 4
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
6 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda
In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.
Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.
In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.
To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.

resource link:  http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/07/02/harry-potters-butterbeer-recipe-uncovered/

No comments:

Post a Comment